Dienstag, 6. Oktober 2009

Travel Blog: Day 4

So this is the fourth day of my trip. I arrived safely in Lima in the late afternoon of Oct 3rd. The 12 hour flight really wasn't funny and Iberia really did not impress me. I got picked up at the airport by a cab that brought me to my hostel. The cab driver spoke pretty good English and so we talked about football (or"soccer"for my American readers), Peru, beer and the local cuisine. At the hostel I met some other nice travellers and had the chance to try the local beer as well as pisco - the local licor.
On the next day I started exploring the vicinity. The district the hostel is located at is called Miraflores and it seems to be where all the tourists and rich people live. Everythings is really clean and has a strong American or western influence. I strolled along the coast up to the LarcoMall which is build directly into the cliffs and helped myself to plenty of local food at an all-you-can-eat buffet. I was brave and tried some of the local dishes. Most of them were actually pretty good...but neither do I know the names of the dishes nor do I know their ingredients.
Later on I visited the pre-inca pyramid of Huaca Pucclana. Quite impressive to see a site like this in the middle of a city. I also made contact with some naked dogs. Apparently the only peruvian dog race is the "Peruvian Hairless Dog". Interestingly many of the "normal"dogs in Miraflores wear clothes...
Yesterday I did some more cultural stuff: visting the museum "Raffael Larco Herrera" , the cathedral and the Monasterio de San Francisco. At the latter I got a private tour as I was the only participant of the English tour. I saw thousands and thousands of bones in the catacombs of the monastery. Sadly you weren't allowed to take pictures. The bones you see in the pictures were in the cathdral. At night I went with two fellow travelers from Israel to the district of Barranco, which is famous for its bohemian and romantic athmosphere. We ended up in a club that had some really good live jazz music.
What else is there to tell? Lima is colder than I thought. Considering some of my future travel destinations I might not have packed enough warm clothes.
Today I am just taking it slowly and I will hop on a 15 hours bus to Arequipa in the afternoon.
Enjoy the pictures....click on the one in this post and you will be directed to the gallery.

2 Kommentare:

Anonym hat gesagt…

Hey,

i'm glad you're o.k. by now ;-)

Cool fotos. Im must admitt, I'm a bit jealous of your tour... But therefore we will have built a new, energetic and sweat and loveley house when you'll be back ;-)

Have fun!
Margit (Sister)

. hat gesagt…

Well, keep me updated on the progress of your house!