Samstag, 17. Oktober 2009

Travel Blog: Day 17

The first thing I did after writing the last post was buying a new camera. Got myself a Canon again and so far I am totally happy with it. After relaxing a couple days I started my trip to Machu Picchu. Since I didn't have enough time for one of the four day treks I chose the "easy way", meaning that I would go to Aguas Calientes (the town close to Machu Picchu) by bus and train and would visit the site the next day and return afterwards.
People who want to climb up Waynapicchu need to get up early, because only 400 people are allowed to go up there each day. So I got up at 3:30 and started my hike up to the entrance of Machu Picchu around 3:50. It was still absolutely dark then but by the time I reached the entrance at around 5:10 it was getting light. I was among the first 40 people in line so I got my ticket for Waynapicchu.
Machu Picchu really is a mystical place that somehow radiates a peaceful aura. After the 2 hours tour I had some time to relax before I hiked up Waynapicchu at around 10. It was quite an exhausting way up and I wouldn't recommend it if you are not fit and healthy, but the view from up there is amazing.
I also found two hidden treasures in Machu Picchu - 2 Geocaches ;-)

When I came back to Cusco I checked in at a different hostel because the other one was a little too quiet. I ended up at Loki which some people claim to be among the top 10 hostels in the world. It is a really fun place and I finally got the chance to party a little :-)

So now I am in Puno at the Lake Titicaca and I need to make some plans for the next days. This town is located at an altitude of about 3800 m/12500 feet so I have to take it easy. The air is pretty thin up here.

Some things I experienced so far on my travels:
  • Local drinks: I've tasted some of the local beers and most of them are quite drinkable. Pisco is a popular liquor made of grapes which is also the main ingredient of a cocktail called "Pisco Sour". Both pure and in a cocktail it tastes pretty good...but I have been told by a Peruvian that the cocktail is for women only (most tourists don't know or don't care).
    Coca tea or "mate de coca" is also really popular and is said to have a number of positive effects like reducing the symptoms of altitude sickness, providing energy and suppressing hunger and thirst. You can either buy tea bags or just throw some real coca leaves into hot water.
    Only "decocained" tea is allowed to be exported to the USA.
  • Local cousine: I've already written some time ago that I tried some of the local dishes. In the meantime I had the chance to try some alpaca meat but not any guinea pig so far (Meerschweinchen). The later is rather expensive.
  • Moon and stars: The moon down here is "the wrong way around", meaning that the waning moon has the shadow on the left side and not on the right side like in the norhtern hemisphere. Also especially in Colca Canyon I was able to see a fantastic starry sky because there was no "light contamination" for miles around.
  • Traffic: I still haven't figured out the traffic here. The streets are full of taxis (an in Lima minibusses) and they pass each other all the time within the city. I also don't know who has the right of way but it always seems to work out somehow. As a pedastrian you have to be extremely careful as vehicles do not care about pedestrians at all.
As always: click on the picture to get to the gallery.

Keine Kommentare: