Samstag, 9. Januar 2010

Travel Blog: Day 99


Ok, let me just tell you a few things about my long journey to NewZealand. The plane from Santiago to Los Angeles had a stop in Lima at around 2 am in the morning. This made it really difficult to get some decent sleep because they turned on all the lights and even checked all the passports of the passengers who remained on board. But after some more hours I finally arrived in Los Angeles and there I took a couple buses to get to Santa Monica to finally have a good old huge American breakfast :-)Then I just spent the day surfing the net for free at the Apple store and walking the beach. I also had a Erdinger beer at the same place where I had one with my sister almost 5 years ago. Little trip down memory lane.
At about midnight my next plane took me to Brisbane. Another 14 hours flight but I must say that the service by Quantas is really good. I slept a little better this time and arrived in Australia around 8 in the morning. At first I was shocked to see how expensive everything is. This is just so different from South America. A round trip train ticket to downtown Brisbane was 27 $ (Australian dollars and American dollars are almost 1 to 1). And that was hardly a 20 minute ride. In Brisbane I walked around the city for a few hours but couldn't take any pictures - the battery in my camera was dead. But since I will be back here in a few weeks I did not really mind.
Eventually the time came for me to board another plane (yeah!!) to finally get to Auckland, New Zealand, where I arrived at midnight...a time where public transportation was unfortunately not available. But enough complaining.
After I finally found a hostel and got some sleep I spent the next day exploring the city and planning the rest of my time in NZ. When I was sitting down next to the reception to write a note about looking for people to rent a campervan with, a French guy approached me and asked if he could join. So we spent the next few hours trying to find an affordable campervan which is not easy - it is school holidays in NZ and thus high season. We eventually found a 'micro camper' - a station wagon with a mattress in the back. But since this thing was only available from the 10th we decided to rent a regular car for a couple days and head north. We found another guy from Switzerland who wanted to join us on this short trip and hit the road. On our way to Cape Reinga, where the Tasmanian sea and the Pacific ocean clash together, we saw some great landscapes and some nice beaches. But we found out that 2 days for a trip like this is not enough. We did not really have time to explore the 'Bay of Islands' or go swimming. The weather wasn't that good either. It changes really quickly here and the nights were surprisingly cold. It was still a nice trip though but when we get our micro camper tomorrow we will hopefully do less driving and more appreciating :-)
Enjoy the pictures!

Keine Kommentare: